Ah Dual Specialization. You are such a mixed blessing.
Thus far, I have only bothered to buy Dual Spec with Tarsus. There are practical reasons for this of course – I have other things to blow money on now that I’m averaging 250 gold in repair bills a night in Ulduar for one. But other than that I can’t help but feel like I’ve got a touch of buyer’s remorse. Not that Titan’s Grip isn’t stupidly fun or anything, it is. It’s just… not as awesome as I thought it would be.
Allow me to be more specific.
I used Spinks’ excellent post as a reference for my build, but needless to say my off-spec is deep fury. It seemed like a good choice for it’s utility, and thanks to some rather coincidental faction purchasable weapons I was able to quickly start working on increasing my two handed weapon skill slave for hours leveling up 2-handed weapons skills because Blizzard nerfed the hell out of all the good spots for easy weapon skill ups. That should have served as an indication of just where this was going, but needless to say I pressed on, determined to feel good about that 1000 gold hole in my pocket.
The first real trial of my fury build was doing my usual rounds of Dailies and trying out the Argent Tournament stuff. I came away with the following lessons:
- I miss Warbringer when I don’t have it. Victory Rush is a poor opener comparatively because it lacks the mobility to quickly engage new enemies. I generally find that I run out of Victory Rush before I can actually get to a new mob.
- Whiffing with a 2-hander sucks.
- …but not as much as I suck at taking advantage of Bloodsurge procs.
- The Brunhildar skin looks increadibly stupid dual wielding two handers.
- Despite being more than half in Epics, it feels like I kill things so slowly because I’m only killing one thing at a time.
- I end up swapping back to Prot halfway through running dailies because I get frustrated with one of the above.
Pair this up with there seeming like no need for me to swap to DPS while raiding Ulduar and you can see how it feels like Fury just isn’t doing it for me. Maybe it’s the lack of shields or maybe I’m just so used to being Protection that other playstyles feel unnatural. All that I know is that I’m looking real hard at a stronger avoidance spec and pondering if I would get more utility out of it in the long run.
Any other Tanks out there feeling similar pangs of guilt?
(P.S. – Happy May Day to those of you not living in the USA.)
15 Comments so far
Leave a comment